Samuel Langley contracted pneumonia as a result of being drenched by water while fighting a fire. He had only been sick for four days when he passed away. He death came as a shock to his family and many friends. In his obituary, Sam was described as one of the best known citizens of Collingdale. He died at the age of 37 and was a past Chief of the fire company. He resided at 406 Clifton Ave. and was buried at Arlington Cemetary in Drexel Hill. It is believed that Sam was the first Collingdale firefighter to die in the line of duty.
William Gorgas died at the age of 54 as a result of a fractured skull. The tragedy occurred on route to an alarm, when the fire truck overturned at 9th and Main in Darby, and he was thrown from the apparatus and onto the roadway. William lived at 215 Parker Ave. (now MacDade Blvd.) with his wife Rachael.
John McNeile died at the age of 50 after being overcome by smoke when he attempted to rescue two boys from a burning building in the Penn Pines housing development. After fighting his way out of the smoke filled building, he collapsed. The Darby Fire Co. #1 ambulance transported him to Fitzgerald Mercy Hospital, and he was immediately placed in an oxygen tent. Unfortunately, John McNeile died in the hospital that day at 4:16 p.m. He had been employed at Gulf Refining for six years. and prior to that Atlantic Refining. John was also a past Chief of the fire company and former Collingdale Councilman. He was instrumental in the planning and construction of a pumper truck which was used by the fire company for many years. John McNeile was a member of the First Lutheran Church of Collingdale. He was survived by his wife Marie; two daughters, Mrs. Marie Parker and Mrs. Eleanor Laley, a son Charles, four grandchildren, two brothers and two sisters. The brothers were Frank and William, both of Collingdale, and Mrs. Helen Welsh and Mrs. Edith Brown, both of Philadelphia.
Roy Rodgers died at the age of 52 in Fitzgerald Mercy Hospital after being exposed to ammonia fumes at a fire at the Collingdale Inn on the 900 block of MacDade Blvd. He developed respiratory problems that ultimately contributed to his death. Roy was employed as a carpenter with the American Viscose Corporation, and was also a former trustee of the fire company. Roy Rodgers lived at 617 Clifton Ave. in Collingdale for 20 years. Roy was survived by his wife Julia, one son, Roy Jr., and two daughters, Carol and Betty Jane.
Walter "Bud" Bley died at the age of 54 as the result of a heart attack. He has helping to handle a 2 1/2 inch hose line at the fire at Janess Plumbing Supply Company on the 300 block of MacDade Blvd. He collapsed following an explosion of propane gas cyclinders. Bud was taken to Fitzgerald Mercy Hospital where he died. The building was fully involved in flames when firefighters arrived. The Borough Fire Chief was Ed Glanfield and the Captain of Collingdale Fire Co. #1 was Bill Garrity. Bill Lake was the Captain of Collingdale Fire Co. #2. About 40 homes were evacuated until firefighters from 10 companies could bring the fire under control. Bud was also a Marine and served his country in World War II. Mayor Frank Kelly ordered all flags in the Borough to fly at half staff in the memory of Walter Bley. Walter "Bud" Bley was survived by his wife Catherine, two daughters, Susan and Lee Ann, and two sons, William and Bruce, and his mother Mr.s Florence Bley of Cheltenham.
Donald J. Felker died at the age of 38 when he suffered an aneurysm while working as a crew member on Collingdale's Ambulance. He had just finished carrying a heart attack victim down a flight of stairs and was enroute to Delaware County Memorial Hospital when he slumped over during a radio transmission. The ambulance changed its destination to Fitzgerald Mercy Hospital where Don was pronounced dead on arrival. Born in Darby, Don had lived in Collingdale all of his life. He worked as a dispatcher for Philadelphia Electric Co. His record of service includes serving as First Lieutenant and former member of the Ambulance Board of Governors for Collingdale Fire Co. #1, former member of the board of directors for Collingdale Swim Club and member of the Delaware County Firemen's Assocaition. He was a graduate of Temple University and belonged to Phi Beta Kappa honorary fraternity. Don was survived by his wife Patricia and ten children ages 18 months to 16 years. At the time of Don's death the ages of his children were; Don Jr.-16, Tim-15, Cathy-13, Patty-12, Paul-11, Kenny-10, Eric-6, Gretchen-5, David-3, and Theresa-18 months. Don's death was a shock to the entire community.